Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Photo tip: Lines!

When my camera's in my hand, there are a few things that I'm constantly hunting for.  Whether I'm photographing a wedding, portraits, landscape, or just randomness...one of the things I'm always looking for is LINES.

Lines lead your eye through the photo.  (They can lead your eye out of the photo, too, so you have to be careful with them.)  They help your viewer's eye explore your photo and take it all in.  Just like getting good directions when you're taking a trip, lines in a photo help your viewer travel around the photo and experience what you saw.

Check out these examples...

A beach in Oregon (look at the gorgeous S-curve here!!)

A dirt road in Colorado -- here the lines create depth:



A "road" through the desolate Reserva Nacional de Paracas, in Peru -- again, lines creating depth:


 An ocean inlet near Anchorage, Alaska -- this photo is pretty much just about lines and colors!


And from a fire road on Mt. Diablo, here in California -- the lines created by the road and the overarching trees create depth and keep your eye within the photo.

 
Back to work on a gorgeous (!!!) wedding album!  :)

- Kelsey Schweickert

Discovering beauty...

Visit my website  |  Email me  |  Follow me on Twitter  |  Like my photography on Facebook

2 comments: