Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thoughts from a ski lift

I love to ski. A lot. As you can tell.  Any chance I can get up to Tahoe, I’ll go. It’s been such a fun gift from the Lord these last few years. I’ve had problems with my knees for a long time, and I figured they probably wouldn’t be able to handle downhill skiing. But somehow, as I’ve skied regularly and built up technique and strength these last few winters, they’ve been OK. It’s like God just smiled at me and said, “Here, take this—enjoy it.”  And I did.  ;)



Last week I went up to Sugar Bowl with my brother Chris and my parents one last time before the resort closed for the season. The snow got really slushy in the afternoon, so my parents decided to call it a day, and I headed over to the Lincoln peak to join Chris for a couple last runs.

As I rode up the Lincoln lift for the last time, at the end of the last Sugar Bowl ski day of the season, a wave of sadness swept over me. Sugar Bowl is so dear to me. It’s about more than just skiing. It’s been a tremendous part of my life these last four years. Good times learning to ski from Dad, my dear first ski instructor…conquering fear and pushing my limits…struggling so much with my bad knees for those first couple seasons…taking lessons, improving, learning how to use my body so my knees weren’t so stressed, building up strength and skill…good times with God and family and friends…it’s a special place. Not that other resorts aren't cool; I’ve had plenty of good times at Squaw and Heavenly and so on. Hey, I like snow anywhere! But Sugar Bowl is special. It’s about more than skiing. So it’s no wonder that I felt a little nostalgic and melancholy as I rode up that lift for the last time this season...wouldn't you?



At that moment it was like the Lord put His hand on my shoulder and said “My dear girl, what about all the good things I gave you this season? We’ve had all kinds of good times, you know!” I looked around at the beautiful snow-covered peaks and realized—if I mourn the fact that the season is over, I miss the point. I should be reveling in all the goodness He has given me here! I’ve gotten to ski a lot this season. I’ve gone this whole time without getting hurt, even minor injuries. I’ve learned and improved a ton. I have grand memories of many good ski days here this season, including this very fun final day with Dad and Mom and Chris. I’ve seen a lot of beauty here, surrounded by snow and cliffs and trees and clouds, and I’ll carry the mental pictures of that beauty wherever I go. I’ve made new friends and had good times with them—John, Spencer and Laurine; many helpful instructors like Danny and Craig and Alex. I’ve tried out the new Summit chair many times and conquered some fears about skiing more challenging terrain.

It’s all about gratefulness. Even when the situation looks bleak, God has always given us so much goodness that goes un-thanked. At the most fundamental level, He gave me life and his love and the opportunity to call him Father and Friend. He gave me a body that works, parents who love me, a beautiful place to live, work I enjoy, and countless other things. How often do I just sit down and spend some time thinking about all these things? Thanking him for them?

I can focus on the fact that I have to wait eight months till I experience the joy of skiing Sugar Bowl again, and get all gloomy—or I can thank God for the abundant good things He gave me this season. It’s a choice, where to put my focus. I can make an agreement in my heart about sadness and fear of the future; or I can pay attention to the goodness of God and be grateful and happy. Because gratefulness makes you happy!

So the rest of that ride up Lincoln, instead of being all gloomy that the season was over, I thought over the many good gifts Jesus has given me there, and he and I had a little grateful-party. And I was happy.

“Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits” (Ps. 68:19).



(Thanks, Chris, for the photos!)



- Kelsey Schweickert

Discovering beauty...

Visit my website  |  Contact me  |  Follow me on Twitter  |  Like my page on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. That was a real encouragement to me! It is so easy to complain about the things I can't do, or places I can't go, but it doesn't come as naturally to give thanks for what I do have!

    ~Victoria Morrison

    ReplyDelete