Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cactus from a 99-year-old


Once upon a time, in 1899...a boy named Dave Braun was born to a family living on a farm in the midwest.  He eventually moved to California and became Visitation Pastor at a church in Walnut Creek.  He was serving in that capacity when my family met him.  He was an old man already, well into his 80's.  He'd already reached an age many people don't. Who knew he had fifteen years more to go!

I've never met someone with such a blend of jolliness and reverence.  And such a close friendship with God.  I was just a little kid but I have very clear memories of hearing him pray...and it was like heaven opened and God was there, sitting on His throne in all His glory, listening with great attention to everything Pastor Braun said.  It was like we were listening in on a private conversation.  I've never heard anyone pray quite like that.

When my little sister Amy died, my parents asked him to come when we buried her.  It was just Pastor Braun and his wife, another family we were very close to, and our family.  He looked at the little coffin and said gently, "Ah, what a little treasure box."

Today I looked out in mom's garden and saw a very special flower blooming.  It's a cactus from Pastor Braun.  He had a little garden that he loved, and not long before he died, he gave my mom a little round cactus.  It was a prickly little thing, only about the size of an apple.  It only blooms once a year, and the flowers last just one day.


I don't like cactus...on the whole.  But this one is different because of the dear old man who gave it to us.  It reminds me of him every time I look at it...his sense of humor, his strong farmer's hands, his close friendship with his Lord, his forceful personality and yet sweet submission to everything he received from God's hand, his love for all of us around him.  And those are a precious memories.

Pastor Braun was a tremendous source of encouragement, comfort, and downright fun.  He was the sweetest, strongest old man I've ever met.  He truly "finished the race" with joy.  I hope I can be half as good when I'm that old.  :)




"They are planted in the house of the Lord;
they flourish in the courts of our God.
They still bear fruit in old age;
they are ever full of sap and green,
to declare that the Lord is upright;
he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

(Psalm 92: 13-15)



Discovering beauty...

2 comments:

  1. I thought I posted a comment on this a few days ago. :-s I think it's so beautiful that you captured the one day of flowers! :-)

    ReplyDelete